July 15–19, 2013
- The Mighty T, “a charming animated short film that brings to life the cutting edge research that is happening at the Ben Towne Center for Childhood Cancer Research” in Seattle; by Colin Hesterly
On The Wall
Several Dribbblers and/or their prints are showing at Comic-Con International (AKA San Diego Comic Con), including
- Nidhi Chanani at the Everyday Love booth
- Dennis Salvatier’s Daredevil: Radar Love at the Geek & Sundry booth; piece also showing in Newcastle, Australia at the Roost/Cruve Gallery’s SUPER show (July 19)
- Trevor Van Meter’s Crap Zombies at the DKE Toys booth: “They glow in the dark! Oh snap!”
- Jerrod Maruyama’s Little Big Bang Theory at the Warner Bros. (display) and Huckleberry (sale) booths
- Tonight in Toronto, La Carnita hosts DOS, an art+music+food event featuring several Dribbblers, including Salud Dos by Doublenaut and Oakley vs. Lawson by Jacqui Oakley, and Jamie Lawson of Poly.
- DesignWorkLife gives Spencer Charles an “awesome” for his Fugue No. 1 in The print.
- Travis Kochel’s FF Chartwell is one of the winners of the TDC Typeface Design competition.
Without You, We’d Never Know About…
- Hops-infused coffee: Corvus Hopped Coffee by Sean Herman
Shipped By Dribbblers
- Dave Shea resurrects the CSS Zen Garden site.
- Spendee app by Cleevio. “See where your money goes.” Posted by Peter Had, some icons courtesy Hüseyin Yilmaz
- PayPal gets a new checkout button; posted by John Hellweg.
- The Cardwee app “takes loyalty cards to the smartphones”; the team includes Néstor Palo and Danny Saltaren.
- Derek Clark’s Theme Cobra WordPress theme store opens.
- The BLNCE podcast interviews creatives who “strive to find the healthy balance between family & work, work & play, and play & creativity”; launched by by Joel Beukelman & Aaron Irizarry.
- Gentle launches the Thingslog Tumblr theme; Gentle = Farzad Ban and Eric Kreutzer.
- John Mayer’s Born and Raised World Tour 2013 kicked off Wednesday, with the help of Nick Sigler’s app.
- Brian Steely is taking his BBQ hobby semi-pro.
- Adam Grason is decorating his son’s room with a camping theme.
- Walter Krivanek got married.
Working It Out
- Tim Van Damme says hello Dropbox!
- “After spending 12 months under a mountain of illustration,” Jeremy Holmes has an agent.
- Eiffel Tower print by Kurtis Beavers
- The Charleston 25 print by J Fletcher Design, “a selection of 25 notable Charleston landmarks, beautifully letterpressed”
- Wisdom Cards by Jason Carne for Holstee, featuring quotes from Lincoln, Escher, Einstein and Whitman
- Turbo: Need for Speed and Turbo: Racing Team children’s books, illustrated by Keith Frawley for Simon & Schuster, released in conjunction with Turbo, opening in theaters today
- The World’s End print by Marie Bergeron for ShortList Magazine’s Alternative World’s End Posters (The World’s End opens July 19 in the UK; August 23 in the US)
- Mobile Dot Grid Book by Callum Chapman for Dotgrid.co, “96 sides of dot grid matrix and 96 sides of iPhone 5 templates with a detailed dot grid matrix inside them”
- Cool Recipes for Hot Days chalk piece by Nathan Yoder for July/August issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray
We Like Beer
- Will Code for Food & Beer Today! T-shirt by David Elliott
- All In Brewing identity for Swedish brewery by Keith Evans
- Daniele Simonelli brews his own!
- Petroleum Cocoa Imperial Stout beer label by Guilherme Henrique for DUM Cerverjaria (Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil)
- Thank-you pint from brand-new Dribbbler Pedro Figureiredo (welcome!) to drafter Martin Holm
- If you’re still thirsty, join Kyle Waldrop’s Summer Ales playoff.
- Threadless Playoff through Monday, July 29, 11:59 p.m. (EDT): Design a logo for a company that doesn’t exist. Winning design printed by Threadless + $2K cash + $500 Threadless gift certificate + so much more! See our blog post for full details.
On The Calendar
- July 20: Moon Day - Check out Grady Fike’s Explorer poster, created for Sacramento’s Indie Craft Fair.
- July 23: Hot Dog Day - Andy Baltes redesigned the website of Tony Packo’s, home of Col. Klinger’s favorite dogs.
- Sean McCabe’s online class Digitizing Hand Lettering: From Sketch to Vector begins Wednesday, August 7.
- Nerdery’s iOS7 is Coming: Is Your App Prepared live webinar airs Tuesday, July 23 at 3pm CDT; posted by Arielle.
- Tour de France by Matej Votjuš for a Slovakian theater’s film tribute
- Tour de France app designed by Rikke Gantzel for BT
- Tour de France icons by Romualdo Faura for Bloomberg Markets
- Prints by Dave Foster, Dushan Milic, Veerle Pieters
- Props to us for not missing Morgan Allan Knutson’s excellent badge for Dropbox’s first-ever developer conference DBX, held last week. (No props for missing Dropbox’s first-ever developer conference DBX, held last week.)
- Evernote launches the site for Evernote Conference 3, September 26&27 in San Francisco; design team includes Adam Glynn-Finnegan and Matt Stevens.
- GitHub updated their mobile views (posted by Ben Bleikamp).
- Instagram updates its media pages, tying together “the codebase of the pages and the modal views around the site”; posted by Maykel Loomans.
- MailChimp’s UX newsletter Issue 8 hits the stands; posted by Caleb Andrews.
- Northbound Design launches site for The Whig, “North America’s greatest dive bar”; posted by Lauren Mancke.
- Underbelly offers a free, simple video player; posted by Matt Scribner.
Montreal, QC, Canada Tue July 23 5pm Shopify 3575 Boul St Laurent Suite 110
Austin, TX, USA Thu July 25 5:30pm The Gingerman 301 Lavaca St
Palo Alto, SF, USA Thu July 25 6pm AOL 395 Page Mill Road
Sydney, AU Fri July 26 7pm Beach Burrito 1A Bedford St Newtown
Ciudad Guayana, Venezuela Sat July 27 2pm Orinokia Avenida Guayana Ciudad Guayana 8050
Nashville, TN, USA Sat July 27 4 pm Flying Saucer 111 10th Ave South
Kochi, India Sat July 27 5pm Codeyssus Labs HIG29 10th Cross Panampilly Nagar Kochi 682036