July 22, 2014
Since Last Week
We finished up our birthday Timeouts with Patrick (Slide Deck, above left), Susanna, and Elizabeth and released our birthday T-shirts (above center), available for a limited time in the Equipment Shop. All that’s left to do is celebrate. If you’re in the greater Salem area, come join us on July 30. That last shot, the one on the right, is old news, but still good news (also attractive thumb-grid filler): Tom McQuaid's Birthday Playoff-winning shot!
Shopify + Dribbble Playoff
- We’re teaming with our global Meetup co-sponsor Shopify on a Playoff with the theme of “Design is … .” Shopify held an internal contest to choose the opening shot. Paul Pritchard won. Now it’s your turn - go play!
Our First Dribbble Gallery Show
- You are cordially invited to our first Dribbble Gallery show, launching this Thursday, July 24, right here at the blog. We are teaming up with the National Poster Retrospecticus for a new kind of Meetup: You attend the NPR show, you enjoy the NPR show, you meet Dribbblers and other cool NPR show-goers. To kick off, we’re hosting an online show of Dribbbling NPR participants. Don’t forget to stop by. BYO wine and cheese.
- Water is Life provides clean water, sanitation and hygiene programs to schools and villages in desperate need. Responsive website design by Jennifer Armstrong.
- Ashley Jankowski, founder and creative director of Braizen, created these icons for Living Free animal sanctuary, which rescues dogs and cats who would otherwise be euthanized.
- Miss-Fires by Jen Mussari
Do You Love Dribbble?
- By Lauri Johnston, designer at McGarrah Jessee
- Artist/designer Rik Catlow is noodling with a mark for his site. We like the mark. We like the word “noodle,” especially when used as a verb.
- Daniela Meyer is updating the Gutensite dashboard.
- Something new in progress from Wilson Miner
- The Posterized app from Kenny Chen. “See what your favorite designers are working on, the most popular shots, debuts and more.”
- Music video for Tweedy’s Summer Noon, directed and designed by Allison House. Tweedy = Spencer Tweedy and his dad Jeff.
- Illustrator and surface designer Alyssa Nassner is taking the plunge.
- Product designer Edwin Delgado uses his whiteboard desk to wireframe. “You can draw some thoughts while working, and then see it come to fruition.”
Happy Birthday to You, Too!
- The Sacramento Kings are 30; logos by Brandon Meier.
- Birmingham, UK digital agency SMILE is 5, just like us.
- Illustration by graphic designer Kyle Anthony Miller for Articulate
Wanna Be Kickstartin’ Something
- Go fund: Empire Bloodlines playing cards by Lee McKenzie
- Funded (congratulations!): Pocket Guide to Writing SVG from Joni Trythall
We Like Mixtapes.
- Illustrator Kate Bingaman-Burt's friend “Zachary Schomburg is a poet. He is currently traveling to 38 different cities to read his new book of poems The Book of Joshua. He is traveling in a 1995 Chevy conversion van and only has a tape player. He is asking people to bring him mixtapes to his readings and I am drawing them.”
- Flower Power, a mixtape of rare French psychedelic and freak beat from the ’60s, cover by Jean Mosambi, graphic designer and silk screen printer
- Mixtapes by designer Indhira Rojas
- Magnetic North 5-color screen print (18x24) by designer/illustrator Shannon Adams, printed by Mama’s Sauce
- Letters, meet Lego! by Alice Lee, who made the installation to celebrate Dropbox's Hack Week. Says Alice, “It took over 7,600 pieces of LEGO and 24 straight hours with the help of several wonderful interns.” (Badass Lady Creatives featured the piece this week, too.)
- Trees by illustrator Liz Nugent
- With help from Design Studio, Airbnb released a new logo, Bélo, part of a larger brand overhaul. In case you hadn’t heard.
- Code School held its first-ever Super Smash Bros. tournament; posted by Justin Mezzell.
- Creative Market released Bangarang, a 4-font family by head of design Gerren Lamson.
- SoftFacade is now SFCD, “a global agency that creates beautiful software.”
Roseville/Sacramento, California, June 7
Creative Dash hosted a crew at its Roseville, California, HQ for beer, pizza and a Ping-pong tournament. A few members of the Dash team shared tips and tricks.
Brisbane, Australia, July 22
Thanks to UI/UX designer and front-end developer Warwick Kay for bringing Brisbane Dribbblers together for a good time at the Super Whatnot.
London, England, July 18
Badoo hosted another over-the-top London Meetup. Thanks to organizer Danielle Prothero, who reports, “It was a good night, lively … with lots of chatting and laughter. So positive.” Photo credits: iDJ Photography.
Next up in London, London Skillshare is hosting the London Dribbble Championships on September 15 and Dan is coming to town for the Generate London Meetup (and to speak at Generate London) on September 25.
Singapore, July 22
The Singapore crew gathered at Neo Singapore for beer, pizza and a presentation by UX designer Justin Roberts. Thanks to host Neo Singapore, food and beverage sponsor buUuk, and organizer Michael Chen, interaction designer and CEO/co-founder of Minitheory. Shot (turned into stickers) by Kee Yen Yeo.
Thanks to our global Meetup co-sponsor Shopify.
- Bekasi, Indonesia TOMORROW! Wednesday, July 23, 6 p.m., Starbucks, Grand Galaxy Park. RSVP.
- Dublin, Ireland
Thursday, July 24, 7 p.m.., Against the Grain, Wexford Street. RSVP.
- Salem, Massachusetts
5th Birthday Party for Dribbble, Wednesday, July 30, Dribbble HQ, 16 Front Street, Suite 202. RSVP.
- Lansing, Michigan
Capital Area Inaugural Dribbble Meetup, Loudpixel, 435 East Great River Ave., Suite 210. RSVP.
- Austin, Texas
19th Austin Dribbble Meetup, Thursday, July 31, 5:30 p.m., The Ginger Man, 301 Lavaca Street. RSVP.
- Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico
Thursday, July 31, 8 p.m., location TBD. RSVP.
- Boston, Massachusetts
Dribbble at the National Poster Retrospecticus, Friday, August 1, 6 p.m., BU Art Gallery, 855 Commonwealth Avenue. Note: This is not a traditional Meetup; rather, we encourage Dribbblers to meetup at the NPR show. RSVP.
- De Pere, Wisconsin
Tuesday, August 5, 7 p.m., location TBD. RSVP.
- Yekaterinburg, Russia
Friday, August 8, 9 p.m., location TBD. RSVP.
- Cleveland, Ohio
Dribbble at the National Poster Retrospecticus, Friday, August 9, 6 p.m., Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 1100 East 9th St. Note: This is not a traditional Meetup; rather, we encourage Dribbblers to meetup at the NPR show. Please note: attendees must pay museum admission. RSVP.
- Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Saturday, August 9, 6 p.m., location TBD. RSVP.
- Istanbul, Turkey
Sunday, August 10, 3 p.m., Limonata Etiler, Etiler Mahallesi, Nispetiye Caddesi, No 96, Beşiktaş, İstanbul. RSVP.
- Dallas, Texas
Chicken Foundry Eat-up*, Wednesday, August 13, 7 p.m., Chicken Scratch/The Foundry, 2303 Pittman Street. RSVP.
- Cleveland, Ohio
Dribbble @ the NPR @ Weapons of Mass Creation Fest, Friday - Sunday, August 15-17, noon - 8 p.m., Cleveland Public Theatre, 6415 Detroit Avenue. RSVP.
- Boston, Massachusetts
The Email Design Conference Dribbble Meetup, Monday, August 18, 6 p.m., District Hall, 75 Northern Avenue, Fort Point. Sponsored by Litmus, Campaign Monitor, Shopify, and Dribbble. RSVP.
Have a shot you’d like considered for Replay? Send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org.